Medicines Health Package About Us
Doctor consult
Second Opinion
Lab Tests
Diabetes Reversal
Health Questions

My Son has Tight Foreskin on Penis & Doctor Suggested a Circumcision

Last Updated - Wed, Apr 18 2018

Similar Questions - penis phimosis, loosen foreskin, stretching to fix tight foreskin, foreskin doctor, tight foreskin of penis, Is circumcision of tight penis foreskin required?, Phimosis

Detailed Question:

Hello Doctor, 

This question is regarding the tight foreskin of my four years old son.

His age is now 3 years and 8 months. He is doing good. He had a urinary infection when he was just a 20 days old baby. 

Recently when I consulted a doctor, he suggested us to go for a Circumcision. He told this because he observed that my son's foreskin is tight and that it can't be retracted. But my son doesn't have any urinary problem and is doing good. I see a small amount of ballooning happens when he passes urine. He didn't say it is hurting or anything. 

Please let me know whether we need to make him undergo circumcision at this age? I feel he is small just 3 years 5 months and also currently there is no issue in urination. If you say that circumcision is necessary will it be possible to get it done when he is around age 9 or 10?

Please help!

Category: General Physician

Dr. Aditi Gupta

MD - Internal Medicine
Angeles University


Thank you for asking the question on JustDoc. I am happy to clarify your doubts and suggest you the best option.

According to the symptoms described, I can see that your son has a condition called Phimosis.

Let me first explain to you in brief about Phimosis. It is basically the inability to retract the foreskin which covers the head of the penis. Major causes of Phimosis are:
  • Scarring
  • Balanitis
  • Underlying medical factors
Major symptoms of Phimosis are:
  • Painful urination
  • Difficulty in Urination
  • Paraphimosis
  • Painful Erection  
Phimosis may have developed in your child's penis and may require circumcision. The child might not need the procedure immediately but will need it in near future. Also, you must take care as he might not have any problems now, but he might get prone to Urinal Tract Infection (UTI) in the future. I suggest get a urine culture test done. Also, it might cause pain later as his age progresses and his body grows. 

You may get the procedure done later and also consult a General Surgeon for the same.

Dr. Aditi Gupta

MD - Internal Medicine
Angeles University

Dr. Aditi Gupta has worked in the emergency department for Hospitals like Fortis Hospital (Bengaluru)and St.Philomena's Hospital(Bengaluru). She has also participated in numerous health studies in Philippines.

About Author

The above medicine data is written by Dr. Aditi Gupta. It is edited, updated and maintained by JustDoc Quality Team. If you have any queries regarding the data, please email us at Read about our Medical Team here.

Ask your own question

Dr. Aditi Gupta

MD - Internal Medicine

*Doctor's response will be sent to this email id
12 doctors online now...
12 doctors online now...